One of the highlights of summertime grilling, grilled and lightly charred sweet corn on the cob is as easy to prepare as it is delicious to eat. This grilled corn recipe is both flavourful and healthful.
6 to 8 ears unhusked corn
2-3 Tbsp Muskoka’s Infused or UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Our favourites are Chipotle, Basil, Butter and Calabrian Spicy Pesto)
1 Tbsp table salt, optional
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired.
1. Fill a large bowl of cold water (large enough to hold up to 8 corn, fully covered). Add one tablespoon of table salt to water, optional.
2. Carefully peel back the husks leaving them attached to the base of the corn; remove and discard silk inner threads. Under running water, use a vegetable brush to remove any excess silk. Pull husks back over corn and place in the bowl of cold water. Let soak for 10 minutes.
3. Heat grill to medium-high.
4. Remove corn from the water, drain, and pat dry. Lightly oil the grill grate and place corn on hot grates for 3 minutes. Turn and grill for another 3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and carefully pull back the husks exposing the corn. Generously brush corn with Muskoka’s UP Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Infused EVOO (can use options like Chipotle, Basil, Butter or Calabrian Pesto EVOO for more flavour) and return to hot grill, turning with tongs as necessary to achieve lightly charred grill marks on the corn, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and sprinkle with crunchy sea salt and pepper as desired. Serve with additional olive oil.
*Note: While not a necessary step, soaking in water first and then grilling the corn in the husks before direct grilling allows the corn to steam inside husk creating a juicer kernel.